English Heritage is pleased to be providing Managed Open Access to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice on 20-21 June 2013. Please help us to create a peaceful occasion by taking personal responsibility and following the Conditions of Entry and guidelines set out on these pages. The full Conditions of Entry can also be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page.
English Heritage have a duty of care to ensure public safety and are responsible for protecting Stonehenge and its surrounding Monuments. If we are to ensure that future access is sustainable, it is essential that everyone observes and abides by these Conditions of Entry.
Celebrating the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge
Stonehenge is an ancient prehistoric site and has been a place of worship and celebration at the time of Summer Solstice since time immemorial.
During Managed Open Access for Summer Solstice at Stonehenge, we support all individuals and groups conducting their own forms of ceremony and celebration providing that they are mutually respectful and tolerant of one another. It is a place seen by many as a sacred site – therefore please respect it and those attending.
English Heritage continues to work closely with the many agencies and people from all sectors of the community and we would like to thank them for their help and support.
Parking and entry to the Monument will be free, subject to the Conditions of Entry. Please do not arrive at the Solstice Car Park or Stonehenge in advance of the opening times listed below:
Timings for Summer Solstice at Stonehenge
- SOLSTICE CAR PARK OPENS 1900 hours (7pm) Thursday 20th June
- ACCESS TO STONEHENGE 1900 hours (7pm) Thursday 20th June
- LAST ADMISSION TO SOLSTICE CAR PARK 0600 hours (6am) Friday 21st June
- STONEHENGE CLOSES 0800 hours (8am) Friday 21st June
- SOLSTICE CAR PARK TO BE VACATED 1200 hours (12 Noon) Friday 21st June – see Travel and Parking for further information on travel and parking arrangements.
We hope the weather will be kind and wish you a peaceful and celebratory solstice.
Sunset and Sunrise
Sunset and sunrise occur at the following times:
- Sunset on Thursday 20th June 2013 is at 2126 hrs (9.26pm)
- Sunrise on Friday 21st June 2013 is at 0452 hrs (4.52am)
Travelling to Stonehenge for Summer Solstice: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/summer-solstice/travel-to-stonehenge/
Parking for Summer Solstice at Stonehenge: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/summer-solstice/parking/
Conditions of Entry for Summer Solstice: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/summer-solstice/conditions-entry/
Other stuff about Stonehenge
Hopefully it will be warm and clear at Stonehenge for the Solstice, but it might be worth stating:
- there’s no shelter at Stonehenge. If it rains you will get wet and muddy
- it typically feels colder in Salisbury than it does in London, and it feels colder at Stonehenge than it does in Salisbury. It’s not going to be winter-solstice-cold but you might want to bring an extra layer or two
- the English Heritage info is worth reading
- be careful of your personal safety – it’s easy to assume Stonehenge will be full of mystics and gentle hippies. It’s not! (Link source: http://salisburyandstonehenge.net/stonehenge-2/stonehenge-summer-solstice-2013)
Follow Stonehenge on Twitter for all the latest Solstice News: https://twitter.com/ST0NEHENGE
Merlin says ” Happy Solstice Folks, lets make it a peaceful gathering. Respect the Stones and Respect each other!”
The Stonehenge News Blog